PETERBOROUGH, ONT. — Eric Labelle, a 47-year-old telecommunications worker, died after being electrocuted on the job in Peterborough, Ont. July 3.
According to police, the incident occurred around 3:30 p.m. in the area of Brealey Drive and Parkhill Road.
Media reports state Labelle made contact with an overhead powerline.
Labelle was a seven-year employee at Expertech, a telecommunications network installation company operating in Ontario and Quebec.
"The thoughts and prayers of our entire union are with Eric's family during this very sad time," said Jerry Dias, Unifor national president, in a statement. "His death is a poignant reminder that we must continue pushing employers and the government that work is safe for everyone."
Labelle lived in St-Colomban, Que. and had been seconded to work in Ontario. Labelle leaves behind a wife and four children. He was a member of Unifor Local 8284 in St-Leonard, Que.
"You can be certain that our union is following the investigation to ensure that the regulations and guidelines surrounding health and safety were followed," said Unifor Quebec director Renaud Gagne.
The investigation into Labelle's death is currently underway and was turned over to the Federal Ministry of Employment, Workforce Development and Labour.
In honour of all who have died while working to earn a living, Unifor is calling on all levels of government for stronger enforcement of the law, with increased safety inspections and harsh penalties for those who would protect profit over people, states the release.
"The pain of the injured and lives of those lost must not go unrecognized and unaccounted for," said Dias.