TORONTO — Infrastructure Ontario (IO) recently announced that three teams have prequalified to design, build and finance the Highway 401 expansion project in the western region of the Greater Toronto Area.
An IO announcement released Sept. 29 unveiled the three teams as Blackbird Infrastructure Group, including Dufferin Construction Company, Ferrovial Agroman Canada Inc., Klohn Crippen Berger Ltd. and TD Securities; LINK401, with team members Dragados Canada Inc., Brennan Infrastructures Inc., Bot Infrastructure Ltd., WSP Canada Group Limited, ACS Infrastructure Canada Inc. and Stonebridge Financial Corporation; and West Corridor Constructors, with participants Aecon Infrastructure Management Inc., Amico Design Build Inc., Parsons Inc. and National Bank Financial Inc.
A request for proposals is expected to be released this fall. The project type is design build. The project territory covers approximately 18 kilometres and is located from the Credit River in Mississauga to Regional Road 25 in Milton, the release indicates. The work will consist of:
• a 12-lane core-collector system from the Credit River to Winston Churchill Boulevard;
• 10 lanes from Winston Churchill Boulevard to the Highway 407 ETR/Highway 401 interchange;
• a 12-lane core-collector system from Highway 407 ETR/Highway 401 interchange to east of the James Snow Parkway;
• 10 lanes from the James Snow Parkway to west of Regional Road 25;
• High Occupancy Vehicle lanes; and
• support facilities and features including drainage, lighting, signs and carpool lots.
The contract value has not yet been determined.